Sunday, 15 November 2009

The Saga Continues

Tu 10/11/09

Just when I thought it was safe to go home - i.e. at six o'clock, in plenty of time to make the 18:10 number 23 bus from Stormont Estate to Belfast Central - Translink struck for the second time in one working day.

I have to admit I was taken by surprise.

I thought I'd worked up some good public transport karma in the morning. I figured the world owed me an easy ride (home). I expected the bus to be there, to show up any second, to show up eventually... So, finding it difficult to believe the bus would just fail to arrive without some kind of an explanation (I know, I'm a slow learner, or an optimist) I hung about.

Well, at 23 minutes past six the bus was officially a no show. I should have remembered Monday morning. All the intelligent people had already made the right call and walked to the nearest bus stop on the Newtownards Road.


I soon followed. Stormont Estate closes it's gate at 18:30 - would you risk an overnight in work based on the chances of a Translink bus finally showing up? Me neither. But I kept looking back over my shoulder to make sure it didn't sneak by when I wasn't watching.

I got a 4A bus from Rosepark, shortly after 18:30, arriving in Central Station with plenty of time to spare before the 19:30 to Larne Town. You know the sort of time I mean. The sort where you have nothing to do but sit around in the station, with all the shops closed, and plot the sort of Blog you're going to start as soon as you get home. If you get home.

Well, this time I did it.


Personal time wasted on this journey: 40 mins
Cumulative personal time wasted by Translink: 88 mins
Total cost of my delayed journeys to the economy: £18.92
Frustration factor: Annoyed enough to start a Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment